Many people are turning to the exotic option of tamarind juice to improve their health in several ways, thanks to the rich supply of nutrients and antioxidants in this juice. Tamarind juice comes from the fruit of a tamarind tree, a unique legume-bearing tree scientifically known as Tamarindus indica. Native to tropical areas of Africa, this tree develops hard brown pods, approximately 4-6 inches long, that contain tamarind fruit and seeds. The edible fruit of this tree has a flavor that can be described as bittersweet and highly acidic. Although this plant now grows in many tropical areas in the world, it is mainly grown and used in the Indian subcontinent.
Nutritional Information of Tamarind Juice:
Tamarind juice is particularly popular because it has a rich supply of B vitamins, calcium, iron, phosphorus, natural sugars, vitamin C, tartaric acid, potassium, magnesium, various carotenoids and other antioxidant compounds, all of which contribute to the richness of the health benefits in this juice.
Benefits of Tamarind Juice:
The important benefits of tamarind juice include its ability to lighten skin conditions, aid in weight loss, protect against free radicals and reduce inflammation, among others.
1. Prevents Atherosclerosis:
The carotenes and antioxidants found in tamarind juice can help prevent the oxidation of cholesterol, which will prevent it from sticking to the walls of the arteries, which will reduce the risk of atherosclerosis. In addition, the potassium in this juice will lower blood pressure and decrease tension in your heart.
2. Prevents Chronic Diseases:
With healthy amounts of vitamin C, carotenoids and other immunostimulant nutrients, this juice can help find free radicals and neutralize them before they can damage the system or cause a mutation, which can cause cancer.
3. Reduce Inflammation:
This fruit juice is associated with the reduction of inflammation in the joints and muscles, but also in the stomach and blood vessels, which helps stimulate circulation and prevent ulcers and acid reflux when consumed in moderation.
4. Boosts Digestion:
Tamarind juice has mild diuretic properties, so if you have been backed up or are suffering from constipation, swelling or cramping, a glass of this in the morning can help normalize your bowel movements.
5. Weight Loss:
Some of the enzymes found in tamarind juice have the ability to affect the protein activity in the body, that is, those proteins that direct fat storage.
“By inhibiting this activity, this juice can seriously help in your efforts to lose weight”.
6. Prevents Diabetes:
Tamarind juice is often recommended for people who are trying to control their blood sugar levels or reduce the risk of diabetes. The active ingredients can regulate insulin and glucose levels to ensure a healthy balance in your body.
7. Skin and Hair Care:
The juice has been used both topically and internally to improve the health of the skin and hair. It can accelerate healing and reduce the severity of burns, and minimize the signs of aging and wrinkles. It can increase the brightness and shine, and prevent dry skin, dandruff and hair loss.
How to Make Tamarind Juice?
With a little effort and the right ingredients, you can prepare your own tamarind juice at home!
- 2 tamarind pods
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 4 cups of water, filtered
- Shell the tamarind and take out the pulp.
- Soak the tamarind pulp in 2 cups of warm water for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the pulp, water and sugar to a blender and mix gently.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve or cheesecloth.
- Add the other 2 cups of water, serve cold and enjoy it!
Tamarind Juice Side Effects
Tamarind juice has some possible side effects, some of which include:
- Hypertension: It is known that some of the active ingredients in this juice are vasoconstrictors, so they can raise blood pressure and should be avoided in people who have hypertension.
- Bleeding: There are reports of negative drug interactions with this juice, particularly anticoagulants, that can aggravate bleeding disorders and other conditions.
- Heartburn and diarrhea: the excessive consumption can cause acid reflux and other stomach problems such as diarrhea due to its laxative effects.
- Hypoglycemia: Excessive consumption of this juice, in combination with medications to lower blood sugar level, can cause hypoglycemia, which can be dangerous for diabetic patients.